Saturday 6 February 2010

Feel the Fear – And Bumble Recklessly Onwards Nonetheless

It’s brilliant being published – but it’s also a little bit scary. Don’t get me wrong - every nanosecond of that scariness is more than worth it, but (if you’re a bit of a blundering scatter-head like me) it can also be sort of . . . challenging.

For a long time, reading my work before an audience made me milky-kneed. It’s not quite so difficult anymore. I’ll never be a performer, but now that I’ve finally understood that it’s about connecting with people rather than scrutinising my own unliterary accent, or my wobbly tone, or my hair, or my lipstick (or whatever) it’s definitely easier (and sometimes I actually, secretly, rather like it).

But then this week, I was invited to my local BBC Radio station to talk about ‘The Dawning’. My publisher happened to meet John Holmes, and then happened to foist (I’m sure in a very friendly way) a copy of my book on him. John liked it, and invited me on his show. I was completely honoured. And utterly terrified.

But John was lovely. And so were so many supportive friends in the nervy run-up.

I gabbled – it passed in a blur. And you can Listen Again here for the next seven days (apparently I’m on 47 minutes in), if you should so wish. I’m not sure if I will, but you can because I’m feeling brave. And hugely grateful (I really can’t tell you how much that support has meant). And very, very lucky.

11 comments:

Jenn said...

I remember the first (and only) time I was interviewed on our local BBc radio... I linked to it via my blog, but didn't dare listen to it myself. Milky-kneed is exactly the right phrase to use - I was so nervous I nearly vomited... promise myself it will be better and easier next time, but so far I've avoided there being a next time, which works for me :)

Anne Brooke said...

Well done, Megan - that's fabulous. You're a star!! Axxx

Megan said...

He, he Jenn, you sound like you really understand. Perhaps hiding will be the best option from now on

Thank you Anne, you are definitely too kind

Jenn said...

ve been on the radio a couple of times since - but phone interviews are LOADS easier than going into the studio. If they want you to do it again, ask if you can do it from home. It's a million times less scary, and that's coming from me, who is really shy about speaking on the telephone too.

Megan said...

Cheers Jen. But I'm a bit scared of telephones too! Perhaps I'll stick with the hiding, though actually John Holmes was such a lovely man, it definitely could have been worse (-: I do feel amazingly lucky at the moment, as well as a bit bonkers xx

Unknown said...

Great title ;) I started your book yesterday and I'm already remembering how much I was struck the first time I read your work but how you get INSIDE things... it's so visceral! Hurray for you being a writer.

Megan said...

Thank you Fiona!!
That is very, very lovely of you. Double hurray for that (-:
(I hope you're still happy to be inside by the time you've reached the end ...)

Maddy said...

Visiting from DJ Kirby - off to Amazon shortly - delighted to hear of your success - and yes it does sound frightening exciting.

Megan said...

Thank you so much Maddy - I really hope you enjoy it.
Amazon have more copies on the way, or you can by directly from the publishers
www.weathervanepress.co.uk
Very, very kind of you!
m xx

Eli Regan said...

Hey Megan,

Well done for reading!! I feel good that a proper writer like you feels nerves when it comes to reading. I hope one day me nerves will banish. For now I need to concentrate more on the writing, and maybe someday I will read. (I've only read aloud to people once- at Manchester Central Library- a year ago, totally nerve-wracking!)

Megan said...

'Proper writer' - Eli, you are properly fantastic.
And I hope that all your equally proper writing is going splendidly(my first nervy reading was at Manchester Central Library too (-:)